Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy

(screencaps are by me)
I just watched Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy (2013), a Thai coming-of-age movie directed by Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit.   It's based on a series of 410 tweets from a real life teenage girl (@marylony) - the tweets are subtitled into the movie. 


It seems like the movie has no plot at first (and now that I think about it, I don't think it actually has a plot anyway...); lots of ridiculous and funny things happen in the beginning and I had to pause it several times because I was going "wth is happening" or I was laughing too hard!! There's 3(?) acts I think- there's 2 periods when the screen is black for a while to signify the opening of the next act.


The first act left me feeling nostalgic and melancholic; the next two acts got much darker. Highlight the next section of text if you don't mind reading spoilers ;-)

/*SPOILER START*/
Honestly I was so surprised when Su died I did not expect that at all... And when Mary found out that Su had loved her my heart broke;; I think I maybe teared up during that scene where Mary was imagining that Su was there and she was taking her picture ;;; 

I thought that the whole thing with threatening the cake shop guy and stealing his cake was so funny honestly especially when Mary went there by herself after Su died and the guy was like "O you're here to steal again huh I haven't seen you in a while"lol.

And the "How to be happy in 15 seconds" thing with the teacher repeating "Mary is happy, Mary is happy";;; I felt so strongly for Mary and wow! That moment when you realize what the title means is always.... a moment!

That whole thing with M started off kind of cute and then got like ...... eh I don't know what I think about it
/*SPOILER END*/


I thought that the actress for Mary, Thanapob Leeratanakajorn, was incredible- she conveyed the character's emotions so well. I was left feeling very melancholic and disoriented at the end of the movie; the movie had no defining conflict or definite ending so it was really like you were just taking a peek into Mary's life. The whole film was recorded on a handheld camcorder so there was this shaky disorienting feeling to it.


Overall, I would recommend this movie but I don't think it's for everyone; it's been described as a "dark comedy" and gets ridiculous and slightly boring at times- don't watch it if you're looking for a happy or feel-good movie lol. You can watch it with English subtitles here!

This was the first Thai movie I watched ^^ Do you guys have any movie recommendations? Leave a comment! Thanks for reading ♡

3 comments:

Arikita said...

I've just found your blog and I think it's really inspiring, it will be an honor for me if you can visit mine too, and if you want to follow, it will be a pleasure to follow you back! :) <3

By the way I am having a cute giveaway on my blog, you can win a lollipop necklace, I hope you join and If you do, good luck, I hope you win! <3

Fashion gets Fierce.

Emi ♡ 恵美 said...

Very lovely ^^

emi-doll.blogspot.jp

Karou said...

I've never watched it but it looks pretty good :)

porcelain-butterflies.blogspot.com